The new New Town

St Vincent's Place in the northern marches of Edinburgh's New Town. The building to the centre is William Playfair's St Stephen's Church (1827) which forms the modern gateway to the Stockbridge district of the city.

The two terraces, to the left and right, are the south block and north block of a modern development tying together Fettes Row and St Vincent's Street, plugging the last remaining gap in the so-called Second New Town, the area developed beyond Queen Street Gardens. The buildings are is a twist on the Georgian design of surrounding buildings, with a more clearly modern balconied reverse, and divided into distinct apartments.
Home - About - Twitter - RSS
www.davidgardiner.uk

Previous Articles

Renfrewshire flags - A look back at the proper flags of the ancient county of Renfrewshire.

The Scottish Parliament - Possibly the most controversial structure in 21st century Scotland. A missed opportunity, a tragedy destined to happen or just an underrated work?

A Toast to Glasgow - Some views of Scotland's largest city and northern Britain's great Victorian metropolis.

A Defence of Propaganda - War-time optimism, reclaiming terminology and a nod to the fine work of Abram Games OBE.

St Andrew's House - Art deco at the political heart of Edinburgh.

Follow by Email